Economic growth and protecting our environment are not incompatible. Investing in renewable energy, such as wind and solar, will grow the economy, bring new jobs, and establish a diversified revenue stream for the state.
Maryland currently uses less than 5% wind and solar energy. and purchases a significant amount of energy from out-of-state. We have an enormous opportunity to invest in renewable energy, increase production at home, use more Maryland-produced energy, and sell our surplus to surrounding states.
As a Delegate, Leslie will:
- Hit the accelerator on our offshore wind turbine partnerships.
- Support the Maryland Clean Energy Jobs Act alongside colleagues, which expands renewable energy in Maryland, creates green jobs in economically depressed communities.
- Work with the agricultural industry and poultry farmers in finding solutions to reduce toxins and pesticides that are polluting our air and pouring into the Chesapeake Bay.
- Promote solutions to reduce air pollution, including phasing out waste incineration as a tier one energy source.
- Lead the charge for investment in clean transportation, like electric buses.
- Help create a new narrative in Annapolis where we re-frame environmental issues using an economic lens, not just a moral lens. In doing so, we'll build broader support for strong bills targeting clean air, clean water, and a reduction in greenhouse gases.